Friday 9 May 2008

Responsibility

Today we had to put up with being one support assistant down whilst working with one bank nurse. This meant noone really knew what was going on, at times. BankNurse was pretty belligierant, too. I took a message for one of their patients and they said "Well, have you told them?". There's a reason I'm assigned to a certain team, and that ain't it.

My mentor was back in, in a what-is-possibility-common-place scattered state. I shouldn't complain, though. I got to practice some medicines and making up an illoprost. Little did I know that I was also going to have to monitor said illoprost all day long, which, officially, is not a job I should be allowed to do. But the patient would've gotten sick otherwise, and it was good experience.

I was doing a lot of work usually reserved for a registered member of staff in general, actually. The ethics of this are messy, in general, but at the end of the day I think it's a good way for me to learn. And I make sure I could never make some death-dealing mistake, so it's less of a big deal than it might sound.

I know too many Newly Qualified Rookies who have never done certain tasks throughout their careers that I've done already, so I'm going to keep on doing so.

I'm going to miss being a student nurse. I really am. I mean, being a student nurse means I can leave early - woo. It also gives me the time to stand in on as many Ward Rounds as possible and, when patient's inevitably don't understand medical argot, go away, look it up and come back to explain it to them more clearly.

OFMN - Breaking rules and taking names since 2007.

No comments: