Wednesday 12 December 2007

Girl With A One Track Mind

Before I begin this named subject, let me say, from what I've read, I've nothing against GwaOTM. Sexual honesty and expression in women is long overdue, and good for her that she made it a little bit more acceptable and made a shitload of cash to boot.

However, there are underlying problems.

The media likes to create and perpetuate the idea that men are mindless, sex-obsessed perverts and women are either frigid or actually quite cool and good at sex. And, of course, that men can't please women.

I can't work out why the mainstream media would be so set on perpetuating this idea, but they do.

So, this is why GwaOTM is so successful, really. Working against the grain is often quite invigorating.

I don't think people in general are going to change. This quote probably states the problem clearer than I could:

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Oh yes. They like things the easy way, and like to be shown the way. People are lazy, in short. In the same way that 'blue for boys, pink for girls' keeps that trend going, the above idea perpetuated by magazines, TV and newspapers doesn't seem to be changing with the times.

('How To Look Good Naked' always amuses me, as previously mentioned. A hugely sexist programme that labours the points: Women need to worry about looking 'good' and men don't worry about their appearance naked).

Being a pole dancing, male nurse means I'm sort of against the grain myself. And love it. But my experiences as a human being both confirm the laziness in people when it comes to accepting these broad sweeps of stereotypes as well as people who go against them and actually act as individuals.

The latter are sadly lacking.

No comments: