Wednesday 5 December 2007

Consultants

Consultants are funny old things. I've met some lovely ones, but the personell I met today were glum inspiring.

The first problem? They come during protected mealtimes. These are protected for a reason, but consultants from out of the ward decide to come down anyway. I impressed my mentor by actually calling them on it, and giving my patient time to actually eat before being poked and prodded.

So they got in with them, post-lunch, and were generally alright, until they started talking about the patient like an object when the patient was sitting there. Then they decided to be quite fucking tactless about asking about HIV/AIDS, sexual preference and possible drug use. I almost actually gasped it was so utterly outlandish, but decided to keep my mouth shut and apologise to my patient afterwards.

How rude.

No comments: