Wednesday 9 July 2008

Male Rights Activists

Male Rights Activists (MRAs) are a group of people who, surprisingly, campaign for male rights. Shockingly, you may or may not think, I am not one. I've been doing a bit of reading about the entire subject which is, admittedly, quite interesting if a bit on the biased side.

Well, I don't count myself as a MRA, anyway, which is the most important point, isn't it?

I think any large scale movement is doomed to failure. It all too easily gets wrapped up in paperwork, rhetoric and dogma. Large scale movements are seldom local, and therefore fail to cater for specific problems faced by individuals. Too much navel gazing for my liking.

I'm my own person. As originally stated when setting up this blog, I'm interested in the trials to be faced as a young, attractive and confident man training to be a nurse in 2007. Obviously, this will encompass gender issues, and I wouldn't have it any other way, but this doesn't automatically make me want to fly the MRA banner. I'm my own person, with my own individual issues, and - sharing them on here and with my nearest and dearest aside - that's how they'll stay, really. The idea of male rights VS. female rights sounds far too much like a Good/Evil VS. Good/Evil prize fight for my liking anyway.

No comments: