Wednesday 19 March 2008

A consultant that rocks my socks

There is a consultant surgeon at my current ward. She is a woman, which is important in this case as consultants are, still, generally rich old white guys. So, she holds her own. We were chatting, and she let me know about a very bizzare medical problem a patient had, admitting I'd shown quite a bit of insight*.

We talked about empathy. She said you can go too far with empathy, and made the case that if you felt for each patient as much as possible you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning for tears. A point which I agree it.

I have a little time off coming up, and we talked about that. She reflected how it's important to take time off and be surrounded by healthy people who you don't have to care for. And it made me smile, as I agree with it wholeheartedly.

She's a bit awesome, I've decided.

* Woop.