Monday 13 April 2009

Negative Feedback

Indeed, I received some less than positive feedback today.

It was delivered nicely. Almost apologetically. I'm worried, but I would've been *very* worried if it was delivered in a stern sort of way.

Anyway. For almost two years now, I've been pretty up on my A&P. And my time with cardiac rehabilitation had me talking, at an easy to understand level, with patients and their relatives. It's a trend I have continues, since my last mentors seem to like it.

However, this is not how it's seen on ICU. There have been some queries and complaints made about me overstepping my bounds and doing this too much, which has been pointed out to me. I don't think, with two weeks left, this is a failing thing.

Personally, I think it's better to be keen than not interested. Obviously, if my behaviour would've become dangerous to patients, then it would've been too much. I was warned, for example, for giving internal suction when my mentor wasn't really watching. Someone has trained me, though, and I have done it before. More than once. So is this my fault?

Either way, I'm reining in my exuberance. It's a fine line to walk, and I'm not entirely happy with my progress, but it is progress.

And my patient today was very happy with my nursing. So I must be doing something right.

No comments: