Friday 17 April 2009

Good news..

... and the bad news.

More feedback from my day calling the shots.

Positive:

Improvements in mouth care, eye care, ANTT, dressing changes.

My planning began well, especially given there are only some things I can plan for. It was my second long day and my first ever day planning a day for a patient. I kept an eye on infusions, which is something I haven't been too good at before. I planned for turns and the like in advance.

Negative:

I think too 'medically' and need to take a step back from this.

My planning became less effective as the day went on and our patient deteriorated.

I was too rigid and set towards set times, when working on ICU involves doing some things early, some things later, not necessarily on the hour.

Basic cares still need improvement.

I need to not talk to doctors without speaking with nurses first.

---

These are the views of my associate mentor. I'll talk about how I feel re: them later, but just wanted to get them down. It is the end of my last two long days in a row, I'm teary and generally irritable. I'm conciously accentuating the positive and eliminating the negative, as the song goes, and will reflect again soon.

Progress, though, is important! It should be noted I also directed all medical questions from the family to someone else, which is more progress.

Right now, though, I hate this placement and parts of me hate nursing because of it.

I do need some sleep, though.

No comments: