Wednesday 19 November 2008

Angriogram Duty

Today I have been observing angiograms, which is nowhere near as exciting as I thought it'd be. I got to wear scrubs which I'm sure some people might find exciting, but the (heeled - why?!) clogs that went with them were utterly irritating.

Not much to report, really. I'd already witnessed a nephrostomy back in the day, so it was pretty much the same thing.

The radiographers were snotty, the nurses were nice and the main consultant I observed was very helpful, talking me through and asking me questions (woo) on the scans the unit performed that day. Other than that, things were quite dull.

A massive ball was dropped, though. A rather rotund patient got all the way to the table before it became clear they would be too heavy for the mechanisms. So, at the eleventh hour, the whole procedure had to be scrapped. The patient was surprisingly good about it, but quite a mistake to be made.

On that note, another overweight patient was being scanned when the consultant noticed a quite horrific note in the patient file from a surgeon back in 1981. I paraphrase:

"Patient is embarrassingly overweight, with plump, reddened cheeks and presenting stinking of alcohol but appeared clinically sober."


It went on. How things have changed... I hope.

Anyway, I'm quite bored of my placement. And have yet 3 and a half weeks to go. Nil desperandum.

No comments: