Friday 12 September 2008

Male Health Issues

Times are a'changin'. As this article shows. This article (and the issues therein) is not a shot out of the blue. Eating disorders have been on the rise in British men for years now, throwing into confusion some of the reasoning behind some psychological explanations behind bulimia and anorexia nervosa. It's the 21st century, for better or worse, and despite how I personally often feel that the link between men and their body images is often giggled at, ignored or even dismissed by society at large, it is becoming more important.

As I've also previously discussed, I think any cynicism towards John Prescott's admission of suffering from some form of bulimia was in poor taste (no pun intended. It's a minefield, this satire malarkey...) Seriously, though, eating disorders in men should not be snickered at like poor jokes in a poorer sitcom. I, personally, am sometimes unhappy with my own body image and so I'm pretty confident I could relate and care for a man suffering from similar anxiety and upset. I wonder if other student nurses, outside of my demographic, could say the same..

No comments: